Sunday, May 5, 2013

5/5/13


 

We are still at the Hotel Bonanza.   We have been trying to figure out our next move.  At first Patrick was trying to put together a tour to Macas with several couples, to save everyone money, but most of the guests that have been through here were/are set on going to Cuenca – the ex-pat hotspot.  So we are going to go it alone.  We will leave on Tuesday for van ride there to check it out and see if it is really as I hear it is.  There is another town to the South of Macas we want to check out as well, Sucuro.  Tomorrow we may take a taxi tour of Quito, and go to a mall or SuperMaxi, their version of Walmart, to pick up some necessities. 
 
We knew when we set out that this would be the rainy season – and rain it has.  Nearly every day.  Today was the first day that started out rainy, though.  Most days start nice and sunny and the rains move in during the afternoon.

So far, the only problems we have encountered with my being mobility challenged has been sidewalks, but we expected that, and that hasn’t stopped us from roaming on the scooter or the chair.   Today we walked and rolled to a near-by pharmacia.  Interesting experience, as most of what we had to get by prescription in the states is over the counter here.  Some things still require a prescription though.  We had lunch (almuezo) at a small café with steps leading in, but I just clung to the gate as Steve lifted the chair inside.  Then I, with my usual gracefulness and using the gate as support, clambered up the steps and re-sat.   It was a tiny café and I took up way more than my share of space, but nobody complained.

My only complaint so far is that the wi-fi connection here at the hotel is not good.   I Can get better reception if I carry the computer into the main house, or from the chairs on the porche.  So we will head over to the house after dinner (It is raining outside) so I can let you know we are alive and well. 

I have no idea how to explain this, but I can now eat bread.  It started as our being served a meal that I knew had flour in it, so I figured, well, once doesn’t usually mess me up too bad – and nothing happened.  The next day we were served sandwiches, and I thought I would try a bit of the bread, and again, nothing.  I’ve gotten bolder and still no repercussions.   That alone will make life easier.

Flores

Green!

Lillies outside our door

This tree has oranges and lemons - maybe even limes

Lazy Ginger

Sleepy Pepper

Steve & the pups

Veranda

Yard

No comments:

Post a Comment